There are five facts from God's Word about Salvation that you need to Understand and Act Upon.
Two things about Salvation
First Salvation is a Free Gift
- Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."
- Romans 6:23 "... the gift of God is Eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Secondly Salvation is not earned.
- Ephesians 2:9 "Not of works, lest any man should boast."
- Titus 3:5 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us ..."
Two Things About Man
First Man is a sinner
- Romans 3:23 "for all have sinned".
- 1 John 3:4 "... sin is the transgression of the law."
Have you ever told a lie? Have you ever stolen anything? Have you ever coveted that which belongs to someone else? Have you ever hated someone? Jesus said that is equal to murder. Have you ever looked with lust? Jesus said, that is equal to adultry? James 2:10 says "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, is guilty of all." Those who break the law, stand guilty before God.
Jesus said in Revelation 21:8, "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderous, and whoremongers, ans sorcerers, and idolators, and all liers, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone; which is the second death.
Secondly Man cannot save himself
Romans 3:20 "therefore, by the deeds of the law there shall be no flesh justified in His sight; for by the law is the knowledge of sin."
Two Things About God
First God is Love and Mercy
- John 3:16 "For God so loved the world; that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
- Romans 5:8 "But God (commended) proved His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Secondly God is Holy and Just
- Hebrews 9:27 "And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this, the judgement."
- Romans 1:18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungoliness, and unrighteousness of men, who suppress (hold) the truth in unrighteousness."
Note: This is a problem for God - His love is in conflict with His holiness and justice, God's love can never ignore His holiness and justice. God's problem is solved in Fact #4.
Two Things About Christ
First Who is He?
- John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
- John 1:3 "All things were made by Him: and without Him was not anything made that was made."
Secondly What did He do?
- 1 Peter 2:24 "Who His own self bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto (in) righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."
- 1 Peter 3:18 "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God ..."
Note: Christ crucified for our sin is the solution to God's problem of His love and mercy and His holiness and justice being in collision.
Faith is not mental assent
- James 2:19 "Thou believest there is one God: thou doest well. The demons also believe and tremble."
- Note: Head knowledge and mental assent are not saving faith.
Faith is transferring all
- John 3:36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life; and he that believeth no the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him."
- Saving Faith involves transferring your hope of salvation from anything and everything you have or might trust in for salvation, and transferring it to Christ and Christ alone.
Faith involves Repentance
- Luke 13:3 "... except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
- Acts 3:19 "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out..."
Note: Both faith and repentance are heart attitudes toward God which result in actions. Faith responds in obedience toward God. Repentance responds by turning away from disobedience.
How to Receive Christ as your Saviour
Revelation 3:20 "Behold I stand at the door an knock; if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come into him and sup (fellowship) with him, and he with Me."
Note: If someone knocks on the door, how do you get them from the outside of the house to the inside of the house? You simply open the door and invite them in. If you do that, in faith, Christ will come into your life and save you!
Prayer of Commitment
Pray something along these lines:
"Dear God, I know I've sinned, I'm sorry! I know that I ought to suffer eternally for what I have done. But Lord, I believe Jesus suffered for me on the cross. I believe He paid for all my sins. I now accept you as my Lord and Saviour!"
- Did you really ask in faith? Do you really have a spirit of repentence?
- What does God's Word say? John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My Word, and believeth on Him that sent Me hath everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, and is passed from death unto life."
- Are you saved?
Look up John 6:40-47, John 1:12 and Acts 10:43
Marks of a Genuine Christian
Your new life in Christ is an exciting relationship with the Lord. You have taken a very important step by your decision to receive Christ as you Saviour. Now as you go on to walk with Him, there are some things from God’s Word you must know and do. Luke 6:46 "And why call ye me Lord, Lord and do not the things which I say?"
Marks of a Genuine Christian
These things do not help you obtain salvation but are the evidence that salvation has taken place (with the exception of 1 & 2).
- A true understanding of who Christ is and what He has done.
- A recognition of our sin and rebellion against God which is accompanied by repentance and faith in Christ as your Saviour.
- An obedience to the Words and commands of Christ which is accompanied by a hunger to know God's Word. 1 John 2:3,4, 1 John 3:24, John 14:21, Jeremiah 15:16
- Love for our brothers in Christ (fellow Christians) 1 John 3:14, 1 John 2:9-11, John 13:35
- Fellowship with other Christians. 1 John 1:3 (God saves us to bring us into a fellowship with Himself and with other believers.) Hebrews 10:25 (this involves membership in a Bible-believing church). Acts 2:42, 46, 47
- Prayer, a genuine relationship with Christ will involve communication with Him. John 15:7, John 16:4
- Witnessing, a readieness to withness to others as to what Christ has done for you. Mark 16:15, Acts 1:8.
- Baptism, by immersion, is not optional for a true believer. Though it has no part in salvation, it is a command of Christ. Matthew 28:19, Acts 2: 37,38.
These are 8 marks of true salvation. If your faith in Christ is genuine saveing faith, these marks will be found in your life in the coming days. 2 Cor. 5:17 Understand, not everyone who professes faith in Christ has exercised genuine saving faith. Matthew 7:20-23, 1 John 2:19